Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Kim Chi Fried Rice for Two

Fried rice has always been a comfort food for me. You can put everything but the kitchen sink into it. Growing up my mother would always use our left over rice and sometimes leftover char sui to make lunch for my siblings and I after Saturday Chinese school. Fried rice has quickly become a staple in my household due to its ease of cooking and simple ingredients. As an adult, I grew tired of the traditional Chinese fried rice and discovered kimchi fried rice! It was not until I began watching Korean dramas that I discovered this flavorful dish. Here, I will show you my interpretation of the dish. It requires only a few ingredients and it is super easy and quick to make. I hope you enjoy.

Ingredients:
3 cups cooked rice (here I used jasmine rice)
1 cup chopped kimchi
1/2 cup kimchi juice
1 green onion
2 garlic cloves (chopped)
1 teaspoon korean red pepper paste aka gochujang
1 cup shrimp (optional)
1/3 cup roasted seaweed strips for garnish
*The main component of this dish requires cooked rice, kimchi, kimchi juice, green onion, and red pepper paste. The rest of the ingredients are for personal taste, but any type of protein may be added to the dish to enhance nutrition and texture.

Ingredients for Kimchi Fried Rice


Directions:
1)Pour kimchi juice into the cooked rice and allow it to soak into the cooked rice.
2) In a large wok, add ~1tsp oil and wait for it to get really hot.
3) Into the wok with oil, stir fry garlic for about 30 seconds.
   4) Then add the kimchi and stir fry for 2 minutes.
5) Add the kimchi flavored rice into the wok and stir until well mixed ~about 5 minutes.
6) Make a empty hole in the center of the wok, put a tsp of oil and add the hot pepper paste into the oil to brown for 1 minute.
7) Throw in the shrimp and stir for another 3 minutes.
8) Plate the rice.
9) In a clean wok, pan fry an egg sunny side up.
10) Place the egg on top of the rice and garnish with green onions and sea weed strips.


That was easy! Enjoy!!

0 comments: